welcome to Story of Our Lives. We are a Real Life rp site set in the fictional city of Savannah Hills. We have been open for two years and don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. We have lots of characters and members to plot with but we're always welcome to having more. After all, the drama cannot commence without you all. I hope you enjoy your time at SOOL, where you decide your character's fate.

site news.8/16: We have a new skin

Add Reply
New Poll

Lean on me, Kami/Theo
Kamryn Lynn Ellsworth
 Posted: May 17 2017, 10:31 PM
Pediatric Nurse
Kami, Kam
Single
Ginnifer Goodwin
N/A
32 years old

Kami was so tired that morning that she didn’t even bother eating anything before she went to bed. She had been sleeping when she heard the crying again. This was the third time this had happened in the past couple weeks and she was slightly fed up with it. She tried her best to roll over and cover her head with the pillows and after a few moments it seemed to stop. She sighed with relief and turned back over, trying to allow herself to drift back to sleep and eventually she did.

Four hours later

Her alarm had gone off and she popped her head up, before relaxing against her pillow and reached over to her nightstand, reaching for her cell phone so she could silence her arm. She put the phone down and swung her legs over the bed, letting her feet hit the cool surface. She headed for the bathroom, closing the door behind her and started up the shower. Once she was done, she toweled off and got dressed in her pajamas. She was so glad that she actually had a night off. It had been well overdue since she had worked six nights in a row.

She was working on making herself dinner when she heard her cell phone ringing. She cringed a little when she saw her mom’s name. ‘Ugh’, she thought to herself. She sighed and picked up trying to sound as cheerful as possible and the conversation went as it usually did. Her mom saying she needed to stop this foolishness and let her set her up so that she didn’t end up a spinster. Kami eventually found some excuse and got off the phone with her. She heard the baby crying again and at first it was faint, but then it seemed to get louder. “Oh dear God”, she exclaimed before heading out the door. She stood in front of the apartment, listening to the crying before she knocked as loud as she could, waiting for someone to come to the door.

@Theo Riley

PMEmail
^
Theo Riley
 Posted: May 17 2017, 10:51 PM
KC is Online
Fitness Trainer
Theo
Single
Josh Dallas
N/A
thirty-two years old

It was getting to the point where Theo couldn't remember how it felt to be surrounded by silence anymore. This little pink... baby hadn't stopped crying for more than an hour since he had brought the little guy into his apartment. He'd gotten lucky to have him remain more or less calm during the mad rush to Babies R Us to grab the necessities he would need, so that the baby wouldn't have to sleep on a makeshift bed made up of blankets and towels and so that he could actually eat, but once the two of them returned home, the crying started, and no matter what Theo did, he couldn't get it to stop. Theo had tried everything he could think of. The parenting book he'd picked up about newborns gave him the basic instructions - check if he's wet, check if he's hungry, burp him - and he even delved into the internet for more information and tips he could use to get the little baby with the mutant pair of lungs to calm down if only for a few minutes. He'd attempted to swaddle the little guy in a blanket, but he hadn't been able to quite get the hang of it, and it left him kicking and flailing even more than before. He'd even read about something called "skin to skin therapy" which was why Theo was now shirtless, pacing around his apartment with the baby boy in his arms who was only wearing a diaper, snuggling him and bouncing him and trying to whisper to him in a soothing tone. Nothing was working.

It had been like this for days now. The crying seemed to always be worse at night, which meant that Theo hadn't gotten much sleep as of late. His face was pale, his eyes dark and sunken in a little, since being so tired also didn't give him much of an appetite. He had thought more than once about dropping the baby off somewhere where somebody who actually had a clue could take better care of him than he ever could... But then he remembered how Danielle had done exactly that, leaving this baby in his care, dropping him off on Theo's doorstep while he'd been at work, never alerting him to the fact that he was a father before he learned from his neighbour that the baby had been left there for him, shrieking in the hallway.

Theo had never known stress like this before. Being responsible for another human being, one who wouldn't stop crying no matter what Theo could think of to try, it felt like he was inches away from being driven off the deep end. He'd attempted to contact his aunt who lived in Miami, the woman who had raised him, but she was off galavanting somewhere in the middle east right now, and all Theo had been able to do was leave her a bunch of frantic voice mail messages, and he'd even shot her a few emails, but so far he hadn't heard from her. She was the only family he had, and the only person who might be willing to help him when he was completely out of his depth. He didn't know anything about raising a baby, and he hadn't expected to be thrust into fatherhood one day, and save from the baby's mother actually deciding to contact him, he was running out of options.

It was then that he heard a knock at the door. All week, his neighbours in the apartment complex that he'd never even met before, both on his floor and the ones above and below, had been knocking or straight-up pounding on his door, demanding that he figure out a way to get "that baby" to stop crying. They always felt the need to tell him that they had to get up early in the morning for work, or to take their kids to school, or to go visit their mother in the hospital. Even the landlord had visited him one night, telling him about all the complaints he'd been receiving about his child keeping everyone up at night. There were times where Theo had been tempted to hand off the baby to whoever had decided to darken his doorway at that moment in time and tell them that if they wanted to sleep so bad, that they should figure out how to calm him down. That hadn't actually happened of course, but Theo had begun to feel his patience slip every night that he went without sleep, and with each new neighbour that dared to knock on his door and complain or berate or downright scream in his face. Once he heard this most recent knock, something inside of him just snapped.

Theo strode over to the door, still shirtless and cradling the crying baby in one arm, and opened it up in one rush of movement. He saw the woman that was standing in front of him - she was new, not a repeat neighbour coming to complain - and before she could even take in a breath to give him the same lecture, he held up his hand to silence her, breathed out the word "Look," with a certain amount of strain and warning in his voice, before he begun to dive right into a rant that started off at a normal enough volume, and soon he wasn't taking many pauses between his sentences, and before long he began to raise his voice at her.

"I do realize what time it is, and that it's an ungodly hour of the night to have to hear an infant screaming at the top of his lungs, and trust me, it's not like I'm egging him on, I have tried everything to get him to stop crying, I-I-I've fed him and changed him and tried to rock him to sleep, he's not gassy, I've been trying this skin-on-skin therapy thing and it's bullshit and I can't even figure out a fucking swaddle, so excuse me if you can't get your full eight hours because I have no clue what I'm doing and I didn't ask for any of this so GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!!"

For a moment his voice had gotten even louder than the baby's, which caused the newborn to scream even louder than he'd been a moment ago. It took Theo a second to realize that he had just unloaded all of the shit that had been going wrong in his life onto this woman, this complete stranger, and it didn't take long for the guilt to set it. "I-I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." he told her in a much softer voice, his free hand pinching the bridge of his nose as he tried to take a deep breath and calm himself down. He was running on barely any sleep, and he couldn't focus on more than one thing at a time. He bounced the baby a little more to try and get him to settle, which didn't work at all, and then he turned back to his neighbour. "It's just, I haven't been sleeping either, alright? And I just... I don't know what to do anymore." He looked away from the woman, squeezing his eyes shit and pinching the bridge of his nose again in frustration. Theo wasn't normally a very emotional person. It took a lot to get him to snap at somebody like that, but he was sleep deprived and under constant stress, and in that moment it felt like he might actually burst into tears.
PMEmail
^
Kamryn Lynn Ellsworth
 Posted: May 27 2017, 11:53 AM
Pediatric Nurse
Kami, Kam
Single
Ginnifer Goodwin
N/A
32 years old

If only Kami had known the reaction that she would have met by confronting her neighbor. She hadn’t thought that far ahead though. She hadn’t even considered the fact that he was probably more frustrated than she was because for 1) this child lived with him and secondly, it wasn’t like there was much of an escape from the noise for him. Normally, Kami’s sass would have come out before anything else, but there was something in her that made her feel sorry for this guy. She sighed, rubbing her hand over her face. How was it that she was the one that ended up feeling guilty? Probably because at the back of her mind she knew that she had jumped to all kinds of conclusions without even knowing the guy.

“I’m sorry that you are having a rough time. Why don’t you let me help you?” She offered her arms out and took the crying baby, trying to soothe him. “What’s his name?”, she asked. She figured she was more likely to get him to be calmer if she wasn’t calling him some random name. “Here. Mind if we go inside?”, she said as she stepped over the threshold and into the apartment. She rocked the baby gently, rubbing his head as she hummed a song. “If you want you can try and get some rest. I can stay up with him. He seems to be calming now. Does he have bottles already made or do they need to be made?”

Kami had plenty of experience with this sort of thing. She had to do it as part of her job. Most people often thought that because of that that she had kids of her own. Though she did eventually want them, she knew it would be some time before she was in a position to have them. She’d have to meet someone, fall in love and the whole lot because unlike her family, Kami did not believe in having children with someone that she didn’t care about. She didn’t feel like it did anyone any good, especially not the child.

@Theo Riley

PMEmail
^
Theo Riley
 Posted: May 27 2017, 07:38 PM
KC is Online
Fitness Trainer
Theo
Single
Josh Dallas
N/A
thirty-two years old

Theo was at the end of his rope. He was already thinking about how he might have to close the door, gently, in this woman's face so that he didn't end up crying in front of a stranger. He was totally clueless about how to get this baby to stop crying, and if it kept going on like this for much longer... "I'm sorry that you're having a hard time. Why don't you let me help you?" He just stood there confused as the baby cried between them, and he was so out of it that he didn't resist as the lady moved forward and scooped the baby out of his arms into her own. She didn't seem interested in stealing him at least... If she'd used more force with trying to get the baby from him, maybe he would've snapped out of it and resisyrd, but she seemed to know the proper way to hold onto the little guy, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

"What's his name?" his neighbour asked, looking back up at Theo. It took a moment for him to get his tired brain working enough to respond. "Uh, Julian. Yeah. His name's Julian." After she asked to come inside, Theo instinctively stepped out of the way to let her in, watching silently as she gently held the baby, looking like a total natural. He wasn't sure what he looked like when he was holding his own son, but surely he came off as desperately needing help, otherwise this complete stranger wouldn't have offered her help as easily as she did.

Theo just stood there like a sleep-deprived dummy, just watching as the baby's cries quieted slightly under the woman's knowing care. "If you want you can try and get some rest. I can stay up with him. He seems to be calming now. Does he have bottles already made or do they need to be made?" It took him a moment to understand her question, and then to finally formulate a response, since he was running on a very small amount of juice. "Yeah, there's one on the... Uh, on the... T-the warmer thing, it's in the kitchen."  Since Theo was a recent initiate into fatherhood, he hadn't grasped the proper terminology for things yet, such as where the baby slept in the bassinette - "the basket thing", as Theo called it - which was located in the living room right next to where he still had the makeshift baby bed that he'd made for the baby's first night living with him, comprised of rolled-up blankets and towels.

It felt strange to suddenly be free, to have the opportunity to finally get some sleep, when he'd been trapped with the baby for what felt like a decade but had really been less than a week. Theo was left just standing there for a few moments, watching this woman with the child - his child, he had to keep reminding himself - and she knew exactly what to do with him. He guessed that she must have kids of her own, hopefully ones that weren't missing her too much while she was volunteering to help him like this. Eventually his feet started to move, taking him towards his bedroom. He was confused, as to why a total stranger was being so nice to him after he'd been yelling at her, but also incredibly grateful. Before, walking into his bedroom, he turned back and said to the woman, "... Thank you." His eyes were swimming with gratitude, and a beat later he was moving into his bedroom, quietly shutting the door. Theo let himself fall onto his bed, and less than two minutes later he was out cold. He slept so deeply that he even started to quietly snore after a few minutes.

- - - - - - - - - -

After a while, Theo woke up. He didn't know whether he'd been asleep for twenty minutes or two hours or even longer. All he knew was that it was significantly darker than it had been when he'd first come into his bedroom. He also remembered from one of the articles about raising a newborn that he'd read that most babies his age would need to bed fed every four or five hours, so Julian probably would've woken him up with his crying if he'd slept that long. Remembering Julian, he then remembered the neighbour, who had graciously offered to help him with the baby. He wondered if she was still there, and with how quiet it was he guessed that she had been successful at calming the little guy. Theo pulled on a white t-shirt before walking back outside into the living area of his apartment. Silence. His place was actually silent... It was like a miracle. He looked and the woman was still there, and the baby looked as if he was out for the count. "Is he actually asleep?" Theo whispered, looking flabbergasted that the little screamer was actually capable of falling asleep at all. "Wow, you're... Are you like my fairy godmother or something? Do guys even have fairy godmothers?" Theo walked over, looking down at Julian's sleeping face, and he felt a smile appear on his own face. He was actually kinda cute when he was sleeping like that... His face was less red and he didn't look so much like an alien. "If you haven't already won some sort of 'Mother-of-the-Year' award, then you definitely deserve one. Oh man... You clearly know what you're doing. I don't have the faintest clue."
PMEmail
^
Kamryn Lynn Ellsworth
 Posted: May 27 2017, 09:38 PM
Pediatric Nurse
Kami, Kam
Single
Ginnifer Goodwin
N/A
32 years old

Kami hoped she wasn’t giving off a creepy vibe or anything. He didn’t seem offended or wanting to shut the woman out so she stayed. She didn’t get the crazy vibe from him either. It was more like he was just really lost and drowning and was in desperate need of a “life raft.” Selfishly, Kami not only wanted to help him but help herself as well. She figured if the kid was calmed down enough, maybe then everyone on the floor could get some peace or at least a decent night’s sleep. “Julian. What an handsome name for a handsome little boy”, she said with a smile. The kid was quite adorable. She always melted around babies. It was just one of those things for her.

Once he directed her to where the kid’s food was, she figured she was good to find everything else. It wouldn’t take much. Most of it clearly stood out. She smiled when he said thank you. Honestly, she wasn’t expected it given the lecture she had gotten only a few moments ago. She was gracious though. “You’re welcome.” Kami watched as he disappeared towards the back and she took a seat. She could only stand for so long with the kid. She rocked him back and forth and pulled her phone out of her pocket, going to youtube and going into her favorites, playing the soundtrack from Beauty and the Beast. She figured maybe the soft melodies of some of the songs would keep him calm and since she naturally knew all of them, she figured why not?

After a short while, she decided to check and see if he needed to be changed and made quick work of that. She would have to ask him once he got up how they normally did baths for him. She hadn’t seen a baby bathtub but she could have simply missed it. Once his diaper was fresh and clean she worked on getting his bottle ready and then fed him. He seemed to be content, which made Kami happy. Maybe she was more of a natural at it than she thought she was. Either way, she was happy to have some peace of mind.

It hadn’t really felt like hours had passed but when she looked at her watch she was shocked. Just as she was getting him settled to put down in his bassinet, she noticed the father getting up. “Oh hello. Nice nap?”, she questioned curiously. She laughed a little when he called her a fairy godmother. “I don’t think they’re gender biased. Geppetto had one…well somewhat.anyway besides the point”, she said with a slightly nervous laugh. “Yeah, he probably tired himself out. The music may have helped too.” Kami blushed a little. “I don’t know about that, but I’m used to it at my job. I’m a nurse in a pediatric/neonatal unit so I do a lot of work with babies and children. I’m usually distracting them so I can give them their meds which requires shots most times. Half of them hate to see me coming, but since I’m mostly on nights, half of them are asleep or they have tubes I can insert it through.”

“So trust me, it’s not a personal experience thing…not with my own I mean. I don’t have any, but I know it can be overwhelming, especially if you haven’t had a baby before. Is the mother at work or…?” She almost felt bad for asking, but her curiosity caused her to speak before she had actually thought it through. “I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be prying or super nosy.”

@Theo Riley

PMEmail
^
Theo Riley
 Posted: Jun 6 2017, 12:30 AM
KC is Online
Fitness Trainer
Theo
Single
Josh Dallas
N/A
thirty-two years old

Obviously Theo hadn't gotten a full 8 hour rest, but just getting that small period of uninterrupted sleep had done wonders for him. Already he felt more alert and present and his mind wasn't as unresponsive and foggy. It was like a miracle... He had called his neighbour a fairy godmother, but in this moment, looking at the peaceful face of a sleeping baby - his son - she seemed more like a guardian angel. Of course he didn't say that, because he hardly knew this woman, and he didn't even know what to call her. "I don't think they're gender biased. Geppetto had one... Well somewhat. Anyway, that's besides the point." That made Theo smile. She was well versed in Disney movies, like any good mother should be, which was why Theo was surprised to learn that she wasn't one.

"I don't know about that, but I'm used to it at my job. I'm a nurse in a paediatric/neonatal unit so I do a lot of work with babies and children. I'm usually distracting them so I can give them their meds which requires shots most times. Half of them hate to see me coming, but since I'm mostly on nights, half of them are asleep or they have tubes I can insert it through. So trust me, it's not a personal experience thing... Not with my own I mean. I don't have any, but I know it can be overwhelming, especially if you haven't had a baby before. Is the mother at work, or...?"

Theo couldn't stop himself quickly enough, and he noticeably winced when Julian's mother came up in conversation. It wasn't like the feelings he had for her back in high school still remained, and that he'd been broken-hearted after reuniting with her so many months ago only to wake up in his bed all alone with no trace of her. But the fact that she had been capable of doing what she did, leaving a poor defenceless infant on somebody's doorstep... It was a hard pill to swallow. He ran a hand down his face, trying to think of an appropriate way to answer her question, but then she quickly added, "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be prying or super nosy." That wasn't the issue at all, and he quickly reassured her by saying, "Oh no, you're not being nosy, it's fine. It's just, uh..." There really wasn't any sugar-coated way to answer her question. He knew that he had the option to obstain from giving an answer at all, but something inside him, well... Theo didn't have anyone else that he could really talk to about this. She might be a complete stranger, but she did ask, and... Maybe finally telling someone would somehow make the situation somehow feel more bearable.

"I really have no idea where his mother is," Theo told her, and he moved over so he could quit standing around and finally sat down on the couch, leaning forward slightly with his elbows resting on his knees as he looked up at her. "The little guy's about six or seven weeks old, but I only met him about... Four days ago now? Time's gotten a little fuzzy for me lately. His mom, I guess she just left him at my door while I was at work. One of the other neighbours took him in and looked after him until I finally got home, and... Well, here we are." His gaze shifted to the bassinet, where the baby had made a little noise in his sleep, but quieted back down a moment later and was back to sleeping peacefully. "And I don't have a clue what I'm doing, clearly, but I suppose he's better off with me than a woman who was so quick to give him up, right? I hope that's true, at least..."
PMEmail
^
Kamryn Lynn Ellsworth
 Posted: Jun 7 2017, 03:30 AM
Pediatric Nurse
Kami, Kam
Single
Ginnifer Goodwin
N/A
32 years old

Kami couldn’t help but wonder about the other half of Julian’s parents though she could tell from the look on his face before he even spoke that this story may not have had an ideal ending. Kami was used to those types of things too. She had a number of patients that she worked with that all came from different family types. Some from single parent households and some from no parent households. Those were always the saddest cases for her. She remembered one in particular that she had who had come in to have a major procedure done the day before his birthday. No parents to speak of and he had been bounced from home to home. It was really heartbreaking so Kami took the liberty of baking a cake and bringing it to work on his birthday and managed to round up some staff to sing Happy Birthday and give the kid a gift or two.

You could definitely see the difference that it made and Kami was happy to have been a part of it. Kami listened as he spoke about not knowing where the young boy’s mother was. She couldn’t understand it. How could someone just leave a poor child defenseless? To leave the baby on someone’s doorstep at that? Who’s to say how long he would have been gone? What if it was days because he was on vacation or something? Kami had to mentally calm herself but it was an infuriating thing for sure. “You are right. He is better off. If she couldn’t even have the decency to wait and tell you face to face about this then you guys are both probably better off without her. I know it has to be hard, learning all this on the go. I’m sure you’ll do fine though. It’ll just take some getting used to and some practice.”

“And on top of that…you now have a new resource at your disposal when or if you need it.” She didn’t know if it was weird to offer that to a complete stranger, but she felt bad for the poor guy. He seemed in over his head and Kami could never leave someone that she was capable of helping. “When was the last time you ate anything?” She wondered if he had been lacking food and water the way he had been lacking sleep, if so, he was in need of more assistance than she originally anticipated. Kami laughed a little to herself. “I’m sorry. I only just realized I’ve been in your place for hours now and you still don’t know who I am. My name is Kamryn, but please call me Kam…or Kami…anything but Kamryn.”

@Theo Riley

PMEmail
^
Theo Riley
 Posted: 8 minutes ago
KC is Online
Fitness Trainer
Theo
Single
Josh Dallas
N/A
thirty-two years old

“You are right. He is better off. If she couldn’t even have the decency to wait and tell you face to face about this then you guys are both probably better off without her. I know it has to be hard, learning all this on the go. I’m sure you’ll do fine though. It’ll just take some getting used to and some practice.”

It was good for Theo to hear those words out loud. Sure, he'd pretty much had those exact same thoughts, but he hadn't had anybody to talk to about this suddenly being thrust into parenthood thing. He hoped that his adoptive mother would get home from her trip and would FINALLY get all of the voicemail messages and texts that he'd left for her. She hadn't been the world's cuddliest mom or anything, but she would have some wisdom to share and surely she could help him feel like he could actually handle this.

His neighbour then continued to say, “And on top of that… You now have a new resource at your disposal when or if you need it.” Theo raised his head and looked at her, suprised at first but then feeling incredibly grateful, anx even relieved, and those emotions showed on his face. He really didn't know how to thank her properly for everything she'd done for him. Maybe to her it wouldn't seem like much, but it meant the world to him to have somebody offering their assistance like this in his hour of need.

When she asked him about the last time he had eaten, he smirked a bit before answering, "Considering all I dreamed about during my nap was a burger from Five Guys, I'd guess that it's been a while." It was a rare occasion that Theo treated himself to fast food - anything too greasy or fatty and he'd have to add time to his usual work-out routine to burn off the additional calories. But he also wasn't the best cook, so he did often have food delivered, but his choices were usually on the healthier side. A moment later, Theo was finally lucky enough to learn his neighbour's name. “I’m sorry. I only just realized I’ve been in your place for hours now and you still don’t know who I am. My name is Kamryn, but please call me Kam…or Kami…anything but Kamryn.”

Chuckling a bit to himself, Theo looked over at Kam and said to her, "You know that just makes me want to call you Kamryn, right?" He wore a mischevious smile on his face, and he realized that he hadn't truly amiled since the baby had entered his life. It was a pretty good feeling to feel happy and be laughing again after the initial shock. Rubbing the back of his neck, he added, "Just kidding, I'll be good. And my name's Theodore, but... Theo's fine." With a sigh, he stood up from where he'd been seated on the couch, walking past her and into the kitchen area of the apartment as he said to her, "How about I order something for the both of us? You must be hungry too. Here, pick any place you'd like. And it's my treat; it's the least I can do for you saving me and Julian tonight." Theo handed her a binder that was filled with a collection of take-out menues. Most of the places delivered great food, and there wasn't much in there that was considered junk or unhealthy. He honestly couldn't remember the last time that he'd ordered fast food...
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin made by libby at shine, cc, sp and atf LAUZ @ SHINE
custom forum structure by black
The Almanac Effect RPG-D DANCING UNDER THE LIGHTS <